Tuesday, January 14, 2020

BOOK REVIEW: In the Blood by Steve Robinson

I love a good mystery novel. When I can find a book that combines a good, solid mystery, intriguing characters and one of my favorite subjects...genealogy... I'm pretty much hunkered down for the night. I found that combination in a book from the Jefferson Tayte Series written by Steve Robinson entitled: 'In the Blood.'

Jefferson Tayte is a modern day American genealogist that is generally hired to research certain families in order to solve mysteries. 'In the Blood' centers around one such mystery, Tayte is hired to find out what happened to a family of British North American colonists that seem to have vanished about two hundred years earlier. The family left their home in America to get away from the  Revolutionary War. During his research, Tayte finds himself looking into a young Cornish girl, an antique writing box and a secret that may just help him find the family he is searching for. It might also lead him directly into a run-in with someone that would prefer that this case is never solved.

The book is well written and the descriptions brought all of the characters (and there are many) to life. I thought when I finished reading the Nathan Dylan Goodwin's 'Morton Farrier Genealogical Mysteries that I would need a break from this type of book but...no! The main difference between the two series is that Goodwin basically describes his research process throughout his stories while Robinson skips over the trips to the library (at least in this book) and goes right to the core of his investigation. Both writers are good, but for right now...I'm leaning towards Steve Robinson. I would rate this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐.




No comments:

Post a Comment