Monday, January 27, 2020

WACKA...WHO??

I probably shouldn’t admit this but... every now and then, my thoughts wander back to certain situations or conversations from a time that's been over and done with... for quite awhile. This typically occurs while I'm in the middle of doing something else. On the surface, the situation or conversation is harmless enough...no idea why it popped into my head in the first place, but for some reason... my mind starts reeling about what should have been said or done. It’s not that I’m dwelling on the past...although maybe I am... or bored by whatever I’m working on...although that could be the case, too. I work up a lather over the words said, or sometimes... what wasn't said...or done. It can be annoying at best and if allowed …all-consuming or mentally exhausting (take your pick). Does that make me some sort of a wackadoodle? I looked up the word in Dictionary.com and it was defined as follows:
'Wackadoodle describes someone or something as eccentric, wrongheaded, bizarre, or foolish, generally in an amusing way and with a mildly dismissive tone.'
Ruminating over past conversations isn't always the best use of your time. The words are already out there in the universe. They can't be 'unheard' anymore than you can 'un-ring' a bell and there's little you can do about it...except to either apologize and try to do better the next time...if there is a next time. 

If you're constantly biting your tongue, whenever you hear something outrageous, or allow someone to run roughshod over you with an insult... you'll likely end up having many a sleepless night...one-sided conversations in your head... or an ulcer. On the flipside...it's difficult to cultivate friendships or any other kind of relationship, if you're always on the defensive or pointing out someone else's faux pas. I personally have never been known to mince words, at least not very often. In most cases, I express an opinion or thought at the time of the incident. I willingly admit, however, it doesn't consistently work to my advantage. Note to self: Identify your audience and think before you speak! 

Not sure if I'm the only one that feels this way, but it was just something that I had to get off my chest. Besides, there are too many things to do today and I can't have those little random thoughts invading my headspace. Did I really just use the word 'headspace?' Hmm... I wonder what caused me to think of that word just now? Am I overthinking this? Could it be that I am a wackadoodle?! 😟 🤔








No comments:

Post a Comment