Saturday, January 11, 2020

BOOK REVIEW - The Willard by Leanne Burnett Morse

I just finished reading "The Willard" by Leanne Burnett Morse. I will say that I enjoyed this book for two reasons.  First of all, the Willard Hotel in Washington D.C. is one of my all time favorite hotels and I generally gravitate to anything written about it...fact or fiction. Why it's one of my favorites is not only because of its' beauty and proximity to the many great historical sites that our nation's capital has to offer...but most importantly...the history of the hotel itself. If you have the chance to stay there or at least have afternoon tea at this glorious hotel, I highly recommend it. While you might be thinking that this post sounds more like an ad for the hotel rather than a book review... stay with me.

The second reason I liked this book so much is because of the way the author has blended together four historical subplots...mixing fact, fiction and a little bit of fantasy, which for me...always makes for a real page turner. The main protagonist in the story is The Willard, itself. The hotel serves as a portal to past events that occurred in Washington D.C. at various points in our country's history...the Lincoln Assassination, the Suffragette Movement, the March on Washington and the Cuban Missile Crisis. The hotel concierge, Edward Chase serves as the gatekeeper to the capital city's most illustrious and infamous history. He chooses four everyday citizens to go back in time to ensure that history remains unchanged, but the adventures that these individuals experience...will change each of their lives forever. The book is 381pages, but moves very fast.

My personal rating is...drum roll please...⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment